High School: The Musical: The Series, was a top running TV show during its four seasons on the air. During its tenure, it helped start the careers of many of today’s top performers. It also featured a number of “on trend” actors, who were able to stretch their acting accomplishments into a new realm of singing in the music genre.
The show was a hit with many viewers, and is still watched in reruns by many people today. It began the careers of many of today’s young stars, including Olivia Rodrigo, Vanessa Hudgens and perhaps the most successful member of the group, Zac Efron. The series was produced by Tim Federle.
A Break-Out Hit
High School: The Musical was an unexpected hit, becoming one of the highest ranking shows the Disney network ever ran. According to Kidadl.com, the show garnered nearly 225 million viewers.
- The show received a warm welcome with 7 million viewers during the first show. This was the most popular show on the Disney Channel.
- It was one of the first movies available on the iTunes Store.
- The movie received a 63% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- In the UK, the firm became Disney’s most watched show ever, with 1.2 million viewers.
- Some reviewers didn’t care about the initial film. One reviewer, David Nusair, gave the film a 1.5 rating out of 5.
The reviewers were left in the dust. No matter what they thought of the TV series or movie, their target audience loved following the characters, purchasing their DVDs and leading the show and movie to overwhelming success.
All About the East High Drama Club
The series takes place at a Salt Lake City school, the fictional East High School. The new drama teacher decides to perform a musical. During the process, the high school students learn how to work together, overcome many challenges, and go on to compete against another local school in an effort to win the coveted honor of being the top drama group in the area.
During the process, the drama group has to overcome many obstacles. The show taught youngsters very valuable lessons in an entertaining way.
Facts About High School: The Musical
According to TheThings.com, there are many surprising facts that most people are unaware of, when it comes to High School: The Musical.
- The two top stars, Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens, were not only a couple on screen, but they also dated on screen.
- To play his role, Zac Efron went through rigorous basketball training to make his character more believable.
- The school mascot was originally supposed to be a leopard.
- The whole film was nearly all shot at East High School. The first scene, which was supposed to take place at a ski lodge, was shot at a dance studio that had ballet bars in the back if you look closely.
- Actors Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel did like each other at first. They only became friends during the tour of the show.
If you haven’t seen the show, thinking it was for young kids or tweens, you may be surprised by the amount of talent in the show.